Ph.D. Oriental Studies, Univ. of Pennsylvania, 1980.
* National Endowment for the Humanities, Research Scholar, Japan and Taiwan, 1982-83.
* Fulbright Program Research Fellow (Taiwan), 1983-84, 1990-91.
* National Academy of Science, Committee for Scholarly Communication with China, Research Fellow, 1983, 1994.
* Japan Foundation, Research and Teaching Fellow, Kyoto University and Tokyo University, Winter-Spring,1991.
* National Science Council (Taiwan), Visiting Research Professor, Institute of History, Tsing-hua University, Hsin-chu, Taiwan, Fall 1991.
* Directeur d'Etudes, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (Paris, France), September 1994.
* Visiting Mellon Professor, School of Historical Studies, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, 1999-2001.
* Visiting Research Scholar, Institute for Humanistic Research, Kyoto University, January 3-15, 2000.
* From Philosophy To Philology: Social and Intellectual Aspects of Change in Late Imperial China. Cambridge: Harvard Univ., Council on East Asian Studies, 1984. Paperback edition 1990; Nanjing: Jiangsu People's Press, Chinese Edition, 1995. Revised and enlarged, second edition forthcoming from the UCLA Asian Pacific Monograph Series, 2001.
* Classicism, Politics, and Kinship: the Ch'ang-chou School of New Text Confucianism in Late Imperial China. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990. Berkeley Prize in 1991; Nanjing: Jiangsu People's Press, Chinese Edition, 1998.
* Education and Society in Late Imperial China, 1600-1900. Co-editor with Alexander Woodside, University of British Columbia. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994. Taipei: Southern Materials Publishing Co., paperback, 1996.
* Classical Historiography for Chinese History: Bibliography and Exercises Published electronically on World Wide Web since 1996 and annually updated.
* A Cultural History of Civil Examinations in Late Imperial China. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
* Rethinking Confucianism: Past and Present in China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam. Co-Editor with John Duncan and Herman Ooms. Los Angeles: UCLA Asian Pacific Monograph Series, forthcoming.
Late imperial and modern Chinese intellectual and cultural history, 1000-1930; history of education in China, 1600-1900; history of science in imperial and modern China